Veggie Burgers with Heart Recipe
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 45 min
Vegetarians and meat lovers alike will savor the hearty texture and Italian seasonings of these succulent patties, which are as tender as they are nutritious.
- 1/2 large organic yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large organic red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or soy oil
- 1 pound ground soy/veggie meat or crumbled soy/veggie burgers
- 4 ounces organic egg whites or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup no-added-salt ketchup or barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded organic mozzarella cheese or soy cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed Kashi® Organic Honey Toasted Oat Cereal
- 1/4 cup organic reduced-sodium Parmesan cheese or soy Parmesan cheese
1. In large skillet cook onion, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic in oil about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add veggie meat. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in applesauce, ketchup, 1/2 cup cheese and KASHI Organic Honey Toasted Oat Cereal.
2. Shape mixture into eight patties. Place in greased, shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately. Store any leftover burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat refrigerated burgers in the microwave until warm.