Red Pepper Hummus on 7 Whole Grain Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 35 min
Total Time: 150 min
Freshly baked bread is one of life’s greatest culinary pleasures, and this easy-to-make 7 whole grain variety is a meal in its own right. Add your favorite fixings and you’ve got bistro fare at its best.
Kashi®7 Whole Grain Cereals, Flakes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (1/4 oz.) dry active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup organic red pepper hummus (homemade or store bought)
- 2 slices organic tomato
- 1 leaf organic romaine lettuce
1. In large bowl pour boiling water over Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Cereals, Flakes. Let stand about 20 minutes or until it cools to 110°F.
2. Sprinkle yeast over moistened cereal. Add 2 of the cups of the whole wheat pastry flour, olive oil, honey, and salt. Stir until smooth. Add sesame seeds, flax seeds and poppy seeds. Stir until combined. Using wooden spoon stir in as much of the remaining 1 cup flour as you can.
3. On lightly floured surface knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 6 to 8 minutes). Shape dough into ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
4. Punch dough down. Cover. Let rest for 10 minutes. Gently pat dough into loaf shape. Place in greased 9 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan. Dust top of loaf with additional flour. Cover. Let rise in warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
5. Preheat oven to 425°F. With a sharp knife, cut three diagonal slashes in surface of the loaf. Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until golden and bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Cool on wire rack. Slice.
6. To make sandwich, lightly toast 2 slices of bread. Spread hummus on one slice, add tomato and lettuce. Top with remaining slice of toast. Serve.