Kashi® Country Cheddar Cheese Cracker & Mushroom Stuffing Recipe
Ideal for Thanksgiving, holiday parties, or anytime, this vegetable-packed stuffing surprises with hints of Cheddar, thyme, and sage.
- 7 6-inch square slices of whole wheat bread (do not trim crusts), cut into 1-inch squares.
- 3 tablespoons organic butter
- 3 organic leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 medium organic onions, chopped
- 3 organic celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup organic Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups, coarsely crumbled Kashi® Country Cheddar Cheese Crackers
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup organic low-fat milk
- 1 cup all natural low-sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Spread bread pieces onto two large baking sheets. Bake about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until bread is dried out but not brown. Transfer to very large bowl. Turn up oven to 325°F.
2. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, onions, celery and mushrooms. Sauté vegetables for about 10 minutes until they start to brown. Transfer mixture into the large bowl with the bread. 3. Add cracker crumbs, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add milk and broth to the bread and vegetable mixture. Then, coat a 2-quart baking or roasting dish with a thin layer of butter. Next, transfer moist stuffing into baking dish and cover with foil. Place dressing in 325°F oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes until top is golden brown.