Honey Date-Nut Cookies Recipe
Chewy, crunchy, and crispy all at once, these cookies feature a traditional date-nut combo that makes them fabulous for the holidays. They also hold well, wrapped tightly, for several days; bring some along on a post-feast hike for extra energy.
- 2 cups Kashi® Honey Sunshine® cereal
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, or a mixture
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) organic butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup local organic honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped organic dates
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray baking pans with cooking oil spray or line them with parchment paper or silicone mats.
2. Place the cereal a sealable bag and use a rolling pan to crush lightly so that pieces are the size of peas.
3. Place the nuts on a small baking pan and toast in the oven until fragrant and golden, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then chop.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
5. In the bowl or a stand mixer or using a hand-held mixer, beat the eggs and butter on medium speed until combined, about1 minute. Add the honey and vanilla and mix until mostly smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
6. Add the cereal, nuts, and dates and mix on low speed until they are just dispersed into the dough.
7. Drop the dough onto the pans in tablespoonfuls 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until golden on the bottom and no longer wet on top, about 13 minutes. Cool briefly on the pan, then place on cooling racks to cool completely.