Coconut Meringue Pie
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 275 min
Coconut lovers will flip over the combination of our great chocolate crust, traditional coconut cream filling and meringue baked golden brown.
- 1 Keebler® Ready Crust® Chocolate Pie Crust
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
1. Brush bottom and sides of crust with 1 egg yolk. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes.
2. In medium saucepan stir together 1/2 cup sugar and flour. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils.
3. Gradually stir about half of hot mixture into 3 egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut, margarine or butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Keep warm.
4. In small mixing bowl beat egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cream of tartar on high speed of electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Pour filling into crust. Spread meringue over warm filling, carefully sealing to edges of crust. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons coconut. Bake on baking sheet at 350°F for 15 minutes or until brown. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until set. Store in refrigerator.
YIELD: 8 servings