Chile and Cilantro Black Bean Dip Recipe
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 25 min
The twin forces of roasted poblano and fresh jalapeño chiles give this dip fire and heat. Try it with sliced apples, tortilla chips or Kashi® Country Cheddar snack crackers.
- 1 organic poblano chile pepper
- 1 clove organic garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed organic cilantro leaves
- 1/2 to 1 organic jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 can (15 oz.) reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 tablespooons organic lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon natural sea salt, plus more to taste if you like
1. With tongs hold poblano pepper over high flames on a gas cook top burner. Turn poblano until skin is blistered and charred all over. (Or, place poblano on a baking sheet and broil, turning as necessary, until skin is blistered and charred.) Place poblano in a bowl. Cover with a plate. Let stand for 2 to 3 mimnutes. Peel away charred skin and remove seeds. Coarsely chop pepper. Place in food processor bowl.
2. Add cilantro, jalapeño pepper, 2 tablespoons of the oil and garlic to the poblano pepper in the food processor bowl. Cover and process until nearly smooth. Remove 1 tablespoon of the pepper mixture from the food processor. Stir the remaining olive oil and a dash of salt to the 1 tablespoon pepper mixture. Set aside.
3. Add beans, lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pepper mixture in the food processor. Cover and process until nearly smooth. Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with the reserved pepper mixture.