At COP22, representatives from governments and leading businesses from around the world are coming together to demonstrate action on climate change. In addition to participating in COP22 in Marrakesh, Kellogg is marking the event with 22 ways we’re doing our part. The most exciting is our key goal to support smallholder farmers – achieved four years ahead of schedule.
1. Supporting 15,000 smallholder farmers
We help improve livelihoods for smallholder farmers in remote rural areas across the world.
2. Cutting emissions in our plants and by our suppliers
Last year at the COP21 climate conference, we announced ambitious science-based commitments to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 65% and have our suppliers cut their emissions by 50%, both by 2050.
3. Responsibly sourcing Palm Oil
The World Wildlife Fund awarded Kellogg a 9 out of 9 score for sustainable palm oil sourcing.
4. Reducing Post-Harvest Food Loss in Philippines
We helped bring solar dryers and faster post-harvest technology to smallholder farmers, most of whom are women, significantly increasing their rice yields and reducing their post-harvest losses.
5. Increasing Thai farmers’ rice yields
We helped provide Thai rice farmers seeds that result in increased yields and improved crop resistance to pests and disease.
6. Spreading climate-smart agriculture
Through Breakfasts for Better Days, we set goals to work with over 500,000 farmers to adopt climate-smart farming practices.
8. Educating a new generation of farmers
We support American millennial farmers from family farms as they learn about the newest developments in sustainable agriculture.
9. Reducing water use by 15%
From 2015 to 2020, we aim to further decrease our water use by 15% through reuse and reduction efforts.
10. Supporting the livelihoods of 9000 farmers in India
We helped maize farmers in India increase the quality of their corn and dramatically increase their yields, improving the earnings from their farms.
11. Reusing water in 25% of our plants
We’re implementing ambitious plans to reuse water in 25% our plants by 2020.
12. Reducing Total Food Waste
We’re announcing a new waste goal that aims at a 15% reduction in total waste (per tonne of metric food produced) from 2015 to 2020.
14. Educating on sustainable plant-based diets
We partnered with Morning Star Farms® to show how eating more plant-based protein is good for you and the environment too.
15. Installing solar panels for Bolivian quinoa farmers
Kashi brought solar power to 700 smallholder quinoa farmers in remote rural locations of the Bolivian Altiplano region, which is helping improve their quality of life.
16. Boxes made from recycled material
Almost all of our cereal boxes are made from 100% recycled cartonboard.
17. Increasing Incomes for Pringles® Potato Farmers in Bangladesh
Through training as well as improved production and post-harvest tools, we helped increase yields and incomes for more than 1,000 smallholder potato farmers in Bangladesh.
18. Using Alternative Energy To Make Eggo® Waffles
We installed on-site fuel cell technology at a second facility where we make Eggo waffles, significantly reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
20. Reducing waste to landfill
By the end of 2016, 30% of our plants will be sending zero waste to landfill, including our plants in Chicago, Ontario Canada and Poland.
21. Training female farmers in Côte d’Ivoire
We partnered with ASDA and Cargill to study barriers to women’s progress in cocoa farming communities in Côte d’Ivoire, and together provided finance and economics training to 1,000 female farmers.
22. NYC Climate Week
For the last two years, Kellogg leaders have participated in this event, which drives global leadership and collaboration to address climate change.