Is Kellogg's doing anything to reduce or remove added sugars from healthy-choice cereals such as Smart Start?
As we’ve listened closely to our consumers and their families, we have made strides to give them more of what they want and need in their foods, and less of what they don’t. One of the things we know people want less of is sugar, so we’ve reduced it in our top-selling U.S. kids’ cereals by 20 to 30 percent over the past few years. Today, the majority of our cereals have 10g of sugar or less per 30 gram serving. By 2020, 90 percent of our cereals will have 10g of sugar or less per 30 gram serving.
Following is a list of our cereals that contain less than 10 grams of sugar per serving (that's less than the amount in 1/2 cup of orange juice). Please remember that recipes may change over time, so for the most up-to-date nutrition information you should read the nutrition facts found on the package you purchase.
Kellogg 10 grams or less:
• All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal - 8 grams
• All-Bran® cereal - 6 grams
• Apple Jacks® cereal - 10 grams
• Corn Pops® cereal - 9 grams
• Frosted Flakes® cereal - 10 grams
• Froot Loops® cereal - 10 grams
• Rice Krispies Treats® cereal - 9 grams
• Special K® Cinnamon Pecan cereal - 10 grams
• Special K® Granola Touch of Honey cereal - 9 grams
• Special K® Blueberry with Lemon Clusters cereal - 9 grams
• Special K® Honey Oat cereal - 8 grams
• Special K® Protein cereal - 7 grams
Kellogg 5 grams or less:
• All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal - 5 grams
• Corn Flakes® cereal - 3 grams
• Crispix® cereal - 4 grams
• Rice Krispies® cereal - 4 grams
• Special K® Original cereal - 5 grams
You may also be interested in our Kashi Brand which also offers a list of cereals with less than 5 grams of sugar per serving, (for reference, 1 cup of raw raspberries contains 5.5 grams of sugar).
Kashi 6 grams or less:
• Kashi® Whole Grain Puffs cereal - 0 grams
• Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Nuggets cereal - 2 grams
• Kashi® Heart to Heart Honey Toasted cereal - 5 grams
• Kashi® Heart to Heart Warm Cinnamon Oat Cereal - 5 grams
• Kashi® Cinnamon French Toast Cereal - 6 grams
Our purpose is to nourish families so they can flourish and thrive; part of that purpose means keeping our consumers informed of the latest science and research. We invite you to learn more about sugar at: http://www.foodinsight.org/IFIC_Review_The_Science_of_Sugars_#sthash.PsIr21tO.dpbs.